World Events Calendar:
The Traveler's Guide to the World's Greatest Events
World Events Calendar Main Menu.
- Atlanta, Ga., Arts Festival of Atlanta
Dance, art shows, mixed media. Call (404) 885-1125.
- Chicago, IL., Concours D'Elegance Antique Car Show, August.
Call 1-800-2CONNECT for more info.
The "Chicago Air and Water Show" and "A Taste of Chinatown"
are taking place the same weekend.
See Chicago's listings under "Sports - Aerial" and "Food and Drink".
- Coconut Grove, Florida, Coconut Grove Arts
Festival , February.
Crafts, food, music. Call (305) 447-0401
- Eldon, Prince Edward Island, Canada, Highland
Athletic, dancing and piping competitions,
lobster suppers, concerts. Lord Selkirk Provincial Park. Call
- Jackson Hole, WY, Jackson Hole Arts Festival,
Art, craft, music and theater. Call 1-800-782-0011
- Lafayette, LA, Festivals Acadiennes ,
Cajun and Zydeco music, Cajun and Creole food, and
arts and crafts. Call 1-800-346-1958.
- New Orleans, LA, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage
Festival, Late April - early May.
- Lincoln, N.H., New Hampshire Highland Games
Scottish athletic, musical and dance competitions
at Loon Mountain. Call 1-800-227-4191.
- Minneapolis (Shakopee), MN., Minnesota Renaissance Festival,
mid August - end of September.Open weekends and Labor Day.
One of the largest
and oldest of the many Renaissance festivals now throughout the U.S.
NOTE: For a nearly complete listing of other Rennaissance Festivals and Fairs
across the U.S., click here: Renaissance Festivals.
- St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Croix
Jazz and Caribbean Music and Arts Festival, September.
1-800-878-4636 for dates.
- Vienna, Va., International Children's Festival
Outdoor arts festival at Wolf Trap Farm. Call (703)
Multicultural - Europe
- Avignon, France, Festival of Avignon,
Theater, dance, film. For more information, call 90.82.67.08.
- Berlin, Germany, Berlin Festival Weeks
Classical music, theater. Call +(030) 254890
for dates and info.
- Copenhagen, Denmark, Cultural Night, March.
Museums, theaters, libraries and restaurants stay open until at
least midnight and provide entertainment. Call (212) 949-2333
for date and info.
- Copenhagen, Denmark, Golden Age Festival
Concerts, tours, drama, ballet and exhibits mark
the culturally rich era of 1800-1850. Call (212) 949-2333 for
- Edinburgh, Scotland, Edinburgh International
One of Europe's major
multimedia events, with theater, dance, etc. although music is
the main attraction, ranging from chamber music to rock. For ticket
and other information call (212) 986-2200 or +(31) 226 4001 or write:
Edinburgh International Festival, 21 Market Street, Edinburgh EH1 1BW, Scotland.
- England, Heritage Open Days , September.
More than 1,000 properties of historic, architectural or cultural
interest open free to the public. Call (1891) 800639. (restricted
to calls within Britain).
- Hay-On-Wye, Wales, Sunday Times Hay Festival,
Late May - early June.
A celebration of language and literature,
with writers William Trevor, Paul Theroux, Germaine Greer, P.D. James,
Ranulph Fiennes, Julian Barnes, Melvyn Bragg and Kazuo Ishiguro.
Call +(44-1497) 821299.
- London, England, Notting Hill Carnival
West Indian carnival, live music, food stalls, arts
and crafts. Call +(181) 964 0544.
- Scotland Highland Festival, late May - early June.
Storytelling, movies, dance, music art in castle
drawing rooms, village halls, historic landmarks, hilltops, gardens,
etc. Call +(44-1463) 719-000
Multicultural - Asia,
Australia and Oceania
- Sydney, Australia, Sydney Festival and Carnival
Music, dance, theater, film, food. Call +(2) 267 2311.
World Events Calendar Main Menu